Sunday, June 7, 2015

Running On Empty

That's what you said I was
as you filled my 5-quart capacity oil reservoir 
with 4 quarts of oil.
You can give me words to read or a page to fill, 
perhaps a room full of children,
or even a friend with a busted heart,
but please don't give me 
all of those contraptions beneath the hood.
You see, he always poured things in 
and took things out, 
worked magic to make mechanized metal
run past its life expectancy.
Now you're reminding me that my car needs 
more than a belly full of gas, 
and suddenly I'm hit with a barrage
of everything-all-at-once,
and I realize that the very last item 
on my priority list reads, 
"What's under the hood." 
I also realize that during a normal year
(which this isn't)
at the very top of that list 
would be a scrawled reminder:
"June 8th--birthday card."
But this year that item somehow 
didn't make the list, and I miss it. 
I miss him, and I wish I still had a reason
to get out my watercolors and ink,
to crack a corny joke inside the fold, 
to say "Happy birthday."

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say, but I'm sorry. Sorry for the lack of a reason to write a corny joke in a birthday card, sorry for the absence of a father beside you to tell you you're running on empty. And all of the world-full of other things that can't be contained in a short poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cadie. You don't have to know what to say. You've mastered the art of just being there, and that's plenty.

      Delete