Thursday, March 15, 2012

Not in Nanticoke!

My family has always taken great pride in its geographical isolation. We live in Nanticoke, a small town named by Native Americans in the distant past and not much more populated now than it was back then. Growing up, a multitude of life's greatest joys were inextricably bound to the the soil of Nanticoke. Childhood was carefree, for the most part. We children boasted--or I did, at least--that we were so far out in the middle of nowhere that we couldn't see any other habitations from our house. Our greatest trials were doing the dishes and weeding our allotted rows of the vegetable garden just outside our kitchen door. Life was good.

But oh, Nanticoke, land of free children (except when they are pulling weeds under the blazing summer sun), how you have been corrupted! How is it that you, the Unsullied Country, now bear the stain of criminal activity? Yes. Nanticoke has turned to the dark side.

You see, when I called home today to chat with my parents they told me a disturbing story. In the dead of night, around 1:00 in the morning, my mom woke to the sound of a door slamming just outside the house. My dad, perpetual Finder and Bearer of Gloom, Doom, and General Pessimism, quickly got up to check it out [you see, it could have been an arsonist, a murderer, or sundry other classes of criminals...]. He found nary hide nor hair of a lurker. He and mom returned to bed.

Cue sunlight. Morning breaks. Dad gets out of bed, goes outside to putter around as usual. Lo and behold, he finds the bottle of Tums that he habitually, hypochondriacally keeps in the family van out in the middle of the road! The middle of Nanticoke's pristine, criminal-free road! He walks over, inspects the bottle, picks it up. He then trudges slowly to the van and opens the door. Theft! Vandalism! His two metal coffee mugs have been stolen. What's worse, a raw egg has been smashed on the driver's seat. Yes. This is a true story. And it happened yesterday night in Nanticoke (oh, Nanticoke...).

The story doesn't even end there. My mom's car has been rifled through as well. A bag full of freshly-rolled pennies and nickels, waiting to be brought to the bank and exchanged for crisp bills (64 dollars' worth of crisp bills...) has been lifted.

Sixty-four dollars in pennies and nickels. Two travel mugs. A smashed egg. Tums.

Nanticoke is the new New York City.

[In all seriousness, though...how creepy is this?!]

4 comments:

  1. creepy...no one is safe!..you dad was right...how strange...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though this made me smile (at first, I thought the story was going to be that the supposed "thiefs and vandals" had simply moved the Tums bottle to a new spot ;) )you're right, that is creepy (and weird). I remember when several years back, some neighbors (several streets down, but still same general area) got their tires slashed. I never felt unsafe at our house in real life, but I did have dreams where I had this feeling of dread as I saw/heard people in the darkness whom I felt were going to break into our home. The feeling of vulnerability and fear/dread made the dreams seem very real. Come to think of it, I haven't had any dreams like that since we moved. :P

    But must be there aren't too many ill-meaning folks around, because nobody's smashed through the windows of our old house :P... or else, they just know there's nothing in there worth smashing the windows to get, which is quite true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, re-reading my comment, I realize one would think from reading it that we lived in the city or a bad neighborhood. Haha! You know that wasn't so... just another country spot in a quiet, peaceable neighborhood, with friendly neighbors. Which is why it seemed so strange when those tires got slashed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand what you mean--crime in the middle of the country (albeit petty) always seems so much more bizarre.

    ReplyDelete