Friday, April 6, 2012

Little Boxes, Little Boxes

How in the name of Pete can people say it's a small world?

(Granted, I've been caught saying that myself on more than one occasion...)

As I pass house after house, green ones and pink ones and blue ones and yellow ones--with the occasional brick ones and stone ones with ivy climbing up their walls--I sometimes become overwhelmed thinking about the lives that have been lived inside each of them. How homes have been made, and how they have been un-made. 

Perhaps it's the fact that I just started living on my own in August and have my very own space that I've tried to cozy up. It's tiny, but it's lived-in and has started, I think, to borrow my personality. Pictures of faces I love on the fridge, brightly-colored art from the little ones in my life on the walls (as well as from the big ones), plants peeping out the windows, a jar full of marbles on top of a shelf chock full of books, a crazy quilt on the bed... it's become an extension of who I am, in a sense. I've become comfortable here. 

When I think about this, even my street can become a Big World and ample space for imaginings. It makes me want to see inside each house frame, pick it apart. Get to know the people inside. 

Globalization, my foot. Technology has its place, and fingers on keyboards and voices on radio waves and faces on televisions may argue in a thousand ways for a world in which isolation is impossible. 

But I want to know who lives in the house next door.

4 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to send this to you, now you have thrown it in my lap.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM8JhvfoqdA

    Pete Seeger is still king, but it is pretty cute.

    And I think that is a sign of a true home...if you know who lives next door... but that is the small town me talking I suppose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree.

    And as for the link, I tried to access it and failed because of the dad-blamed internet filtering we have at home (I'm still here for Easter break). Apparently Youtube is completely, unarguably and irredeemably evil. Nope. No access.

    I'll have to check it out up at Abby's or something. :)

    How was your Easter, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched the video--love it. Pete is still king, but that music video was pretty awesome. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand, and I often feel the same way myself. It always is interesting to me to visit someone's house for the first time, and while on the outside it may look like all the others near it, on the inside it is so unique and home-y. Then I start wondering about all the others which seem to me like just houses, houses, houses - almost like just a part of the landscape - but really are Homes with real people living in them.

    ReplyDelete