Saturday, May 2, 2015

Bench

Downright exhausted, you fretted, you cried, you fought comfort. And so I walked with you and hummed. The sun pressed warm, slanted onto your baby face. One minute, two, and you slumped, head soft on my chest. Sleep had won, and all was peace.

I found a little path, once well-worn perhaps, but not so now. I walked with you toward the sunlight in a little clearing--a pond, a bench, a birdhouse. I sat and closed my eyes and listened to the peepers. The peepers and the birds.

The grief comes in flashes now more often than days' lengths.

Heaven seemed like it was on the other side of trees. And you, baby, you in my arms were the one solid thing keeping me here on this side. The warm weight of a human only months-old, born to joy and sorrow and beauty and brokenness. It is hard to imagine that someday you, too, will have to learn how to lose.

But for now, there is such peace in your little heartbeat and your chubby calves, your curled-up fingers and the steady sound of your breathing.

10 comments:

  1. This nearly brought tears to my eyes. So powerful, beautiful, sorrowful, and hopeful! Ah, the mystery of life!
    Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you thought it was worth the share. Hope you're well! [Are you still in the land of warm sun and exotic blooms?]

      Delete
  2. I think I know where you were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do, too. :) I love you, Deborah, and I'm glad you had that baby in your arms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, too, Joy. Let's talk in Real Life with skin on one of these days, shall we? :) I was awfully glad of the babe, too. I'd been pining for some baby-holding.

      Delete
    2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yes, indeedy. Let's, indeedy. And there's more baby-holding where that came from.

      Delete
    3. That laughter seems so out of context, Joy. As did the rest of that comment. You certainly don't seem like the Joy I thought I knew... How about some more baby-holding tomorrow? I think I might be able to arrange that.

      PS - Megan, if you're reading this, Joy isn't Joy Mannhardt after all... As you might be able to tell by her comment and my rebuttal, which would clearly make absolutely no sense if she was Joy Mannhardt. I had the wrong Joy in mind. Yep. This is a different Joy entirely. And if all of that seems cryptic and confusing, well...it kind of is. But I can explain.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you found that place. And I second the love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. And I third the love. Or fourth. Or whatever number it needs to be in order for you to know that it's being reciprocated.

      Delete