Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Green Glass God

There it lay gleaming in a hollow of moist earth
churned by wind breath and stream flow,
nestled half-buried in soil marked
by the eager thrust of duck bills
and the prints of creatures that hide
shyly, afraid, among the trees at water's edge.
The sides were worn smooth by tumbling,
the shape a surprising whorl 
with common dirt coating its crevices.
I held it beneath the rush of a cold autumn stream
until the dirt fell away, and when I lifted it
I could see a green world through it,
a world of bared branches and fallen leaves
turned suddenly the color of spring.
I do not know from where the green glass came,
but I took it home and wondered
who else has found a shard 
to wipe off, to keep, to carry home
and if their shards might somehow
fit softly, secretly into mine. 

2 comments: