Thursday, October 22, 2015

October Day

In October, you don't need to go far away to find beautiful things. 

Every time I post pictures from my hikes I lament the fact that there are no sounds or smells attached. You'll just have to imagine the sound of rustling cornstalks and leaves underfoot, the pungent smell of cinnamon soil that hangs sweet in the air only in autumn.

You'll have to imagine the sound of birds' wings as they lift off from tree branches and the river as its cold eddies move maple leaves in a slow dance.

I am done with words for now. Have some pictures--far too many, probably of subjects I photographed last fall, and with an exorbitant number of duplicates. (Corn. Corn again. What do you know? Corn. More corn.)

(I couldn't help it.)










I tried to take pictures of the maple copters in the air, but alas, that would require a fancier camera than mine (and an hour of patience that I couldn't spare).











This. The best sound and smell of fall.


Faery branches.



Two.



Twins: inverted.










 Arch. 

(I think it may be Japanese knotweed, which is an invasive plant...but if I call it "kudzu" so it reminds me of a picture book I read when I was younger, it suddenly feels magical. So I call it kudzu in my head and feel very friendly towards it while I walk through it.)





October is a good month.

4 comments:

  1. You did not post to many pictures. You never, ever do!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such an encourager, miss. At least I have one fan who will never feel overloaded. :) Love you, niece o' mine!

      Delete
  2. Make that two!!!!!!!! (And I can use exclamation points just as handily.)

    ReplyDelete