Monday, October 5, 2015

(Un)Fastened

I hear your words on the other end of the line
and my heart leaps into my throat
(there it still pumps, lodged, remote);
each beat brings a memory pulsing to mind --
a wise-foolish boy writes red-hot in the corner, 
a blood-born brother breaks all hell loose, 
a creviced mother slinks, heavy, from hope
a father in a jail cell dreams of liquor and smoke.
God came to prison, he told me once,
only to leave him once he was home.
I breathe in slow and listen close
(to the unravelled unwound unbound unknown).
What once was fastened now is loosed;
there's blood when one flesh tears in two.

2 comments:

  1. as a child of divorce, that last couplet is powerful. all the more poignant given our upcoming addition to the family, where both sets of his grandparents are "loosed".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I felt this news as thought they were my own flesh and blood. The couple I'm thinking of was on the edge but are now going to counseling. It's a student I love so dearly--two students, actually, brothers--who are caught in the middle. It's excruciating to watch, and I'm sure even more so to live through. Love you, Liv, and I know you will be a wonderful aunt to that little one.

      Delete