Thursday, July 16, 2015

A Post for Pops

I don't know that many people were aware of my dad's quirky love of rocks.

On more than one occasion, I pulled out a lumpy object from my Christmas stocking and unwrapped it to find a couple of polished stones, gleaming and smooth in my palm. He had a hard time walking by the rock booth in the middle of the mall come Christmas time (the only time he frequented the mall, I think).

I inherited that quirky love of rocks with a vengeance. Just check out the rocks at the very bottom of this post from last summer. And if you saw my suitcase, you'd know that its extra weight is mostly due to rocks. Rocks from the top of Flattop, rocks from the bottom of the lake in Katmai, rocks from the beach in Naknek, rocks from Crow Pass, rocks from...

As soon as Andy pointed out a place called The Rock Shop in Anchorage, I knew I had to go.

It was the most overwhelmingly amazing store I have ever been to (which perhaps isn't saying much from a non-shopper like me, but trust me anyway...).





There were rainbows everywhere in one of the corners because of the prisms hanging in the window.







This geode was just about my height (and it only cost four and a half grand!).


Here's to you, Dad. May the eccentricities that made you so strangely lovable live on.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could have been there to buy twice as many rocks as you did! Oh, well, I'll just have to be satisfied with the gorgeous rock that my generous aunt gave me! :) ( I wonder who that aunt could be.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know...she sounds pretty weird, though. Rocks as a present?! Really...?! :)

      Delete
    2. I know! I wish she never given me my favorite rock that I've ever seen!

      Delete
  2. THIS makes me salivate as much as the candy store pictures did. Compelling place.

    I have to take Millie to a dentist's appointment, but I wanted to hop on quickly and tell you again how much I've enjoyed traveling along with you here. I accidentally started leaving comments on every post, though! Weak-willed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm. Yep. And I'm glad you've traveled along (and that you're weak-willed, to boot). :)

      Delete