Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Paparazzo (Noun, Singular)

I'm the one who gave the assignment to my class at the start of the school year last September, so I suppose I'm to blame: bring 3 objects (or pictures of them) that you think best encapsulate who you are and write a brief essay explaining why you chose them.

One of my students had wildly ambitious ideas that involved guns and mechanic's tools and deer antlers. Alas, these were not school-friendly items.

So I arranged for a photo shoot at the house of one of the aides I work with (she's a beautiful soul, the mother hen type who loves children outside of school as well as in). T. went there often this fall, as an "employee" to help on her tree farm. It was a huge motivator for him.

We met up on a Saturday, and camera-slinging Miss Johnson made him feel famous as he strode around doing Man's Work.




Proud.





To cap it all off, he wanted to take me on a ride in the Gator. Don't worry, I was duly impressed with his nonchalant lip-chewing, back-leaning, one-handed driving.


And now he's off to middle school.

My babies are growing up.

6 comments:

  1. That's great! He certainly looks like he's having a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his smug, casual confidence in these. So great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie is so impressed that he's about her age and knows how to drive a tractor. "Wow!"
    Then she said, "Is he the one who bonked into a tree?"
    Yup. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten that I'd shown you all that video. Good stuff. And it makes little girls think twice before wishing themselves atop machines they don't know the first thing about... :) Although I'm sure Annika would make a marvelous driver.

      Delete