Friday, August 22, 2014

The Party Proper

My niece Mildred turned 12.


She's got a wonderfully odd little soul housed within. She loves to chuckle and exchange knowing glances with me or her mama when when one of the littles does something especially charming. Oh, aren't they the sweetest things... She sounds like an encyclopedia sometimes as she rattles off her opinion about one subject or another. She likes to wear aprons when she cooks, she looks up crafty Youtube videos when she has free time, and she knits better than your grandmother. 

She also plans a mean birthday party. 

My parents were in attendance, as were her siblings, an honored cousin, and myself.


Mama sneaked some birch beer, unwittingly providing the perfect foreground for Bird's drama. Abigail looks sweet and elegant as she demurely sips from the bottle, but...


...a beast rages within.


For Mildred's sake, the beast was tamed and the cake made it safely to the table. 

I wouldn't mind living in a sugary house like this, would you? 



We even had live entertainment of the finest kind, the sort that would enliven the courts of the grandest kings: string art.





To my Millie, happy birthday.

2 comments:

  1. Millie says, "I love the picture of Mama and Susie! It's hilarious!"

    Mama says, "I love them all and will steal some...fair warning."

    Susie says, "I like the last picture and the second-to-last picture!"

    Luci says, "Luci says she likes the last picture!"

    (No, I didn't accidentally double that phrase because Luci says, "Luci says...")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thieve as much as you like.

    And I'm going to be sad when Luci stops speaking in third person.

    ReplyDelete